Spiders are creepy and can be dangerous. A spider bite from certain venomous species such as the Red Back Spider can be toxic and requires immediate medical attention.
The treatment of exterior webbing spiders involves the application of a registered pesticide to all infested areas, such as under gutters and eaves, around window and door- frames, cracks and crevices, outdoor furniture etc.
A preventative treatment for ground dwelling spiders such as Funnel Web Spiders is not recommended, as the application of a pesticide can often cause them to become aggressive and to enter buildings. Wet weather can have the same effect. The location and treatment of their funnels is effective but not always possible or practical. Control of ground dwelling spiders relies on the direct contact with insecticide.
The best preventative measure is to ensure that washing baskets, shoes, children’s toys etc. are not left outside.